Fall is here and winter is right around the corner, which means that property owners everywhere have plenty of clean-up and maintenance tasks to tackle. If you’re ready to start preparing your property for fall and the colder months ahead, this list is an excellent starting point.
An Easy Checklist for Preparing Your Property for Fall and Winter in Colorado
- Protect the pipes in the home or multi-family unit, particularly any that are exposed to a room without temperature control like a basement or attic. When water freezes during the winter, it expands. Unfortunately, this expansion can cause the pipe to burst. Always require your tenants to have their heat set at 55 degrees minimum, even if they are going on vacation or will be away. This will keep the apartment or house warm enough that nothing should freeze and burst.
- When preparing your property for fall, if you work with our property management team, we can proactively inspect units to ensure everything is in proper working order. Catching a furnace problem before heat is critical to staying warm during a snowstorm is always the best option.
- Clean out the gutters to remove any dead leaves that accumulated over the course of the fall. This step is very important when preparing your property for fall, as excess leaves can contribute to poor gutter efficiency during rainstorms and snowstorms.
- Complete a fall clean-up to remove leaves and yard debris from the landscape. Trim back any tree branches that are diseased, dead, dying or hanging over the roof. This will keep your landscape tidy and prepare it for the weight of winter snow.
- Check the siding and roof to make sure there are no obvious issues. Missing shingles should be replaced. Any missing pieces of siding should also be replaced. If you see any cracks or crevices that pests or rodents could slip through when preparing your property for fall, seal them appropriately to reduce the chance of pest problems.
All County Denver Metro Property Management Can Help with Preparing Your Property for Fall
All County Denver Metro Property Management offers all property owners competent and honest property management services. From rental market evaluation to tenant placement, we can assist with all of your needs. Our team of real estate professionals looks forward to hearing from you about how we can make your investment a stress-free asset and keep your tenants happy. Call us at (720) 575-6100 for a free quote.